Sponsors

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Born to Run

I'm not a runner or jogger of any degree, much less long distance endurance running. I didn't know who Micah True was until the search for him was covered in headline news. I learned that he was one of the main characters in a non-fiction book called Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, and that he was recognized by everyone who was active in long distance running as a person who embodied the sport. Though I didn't know him, or about him, the passionate pursuit that he brought to the thing he loved most will be his legacy, and I offer my condolences to those who will feel the loss of his passing.

The title of the book, Born to Run, captured my attention, especially since it is non-fiction. I think everyone has a calling, but we're not always tuned in to the voice that whispers it to us. I wonder how I personally would fill in the blank: Born to __________. Actually, I think I know the answer. I'm doing it right now - Born to Write. It’s taken me a long time to come to that realization, but I also believe that it’s never too late to follow your dreams.

I plan to read Christopher McDougall's Born to Run. I understand that it is inspirational and written with exuberance. I want to learn more about Micah True and the other people portrayed in this story. Though I’m not a runner, I know there is a lesson here for me on dedication and perseverance. Other than writing, I want to always be Born to Learn from people like Micah True who show us how to extend our idea of limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment